Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Black Belt Librarians

Black Belt Librarians

Today, 3/11/08, I attended a presentation at ESRL concerning library safety.  The presenter was Warren Graham.  For the past weeks, the employees at my location have been talking about our issues with safety at our facility. 
This presentation was excellent.  It addressed all of our concerns.

 

As employees of the library, we have a right to have a safe and secure work environment and we have a right to be treated civilly by the public that we serve.

 

My problem is that there is no plan or procedure that I have seen since my employment that establishes guidelines for enforcement of rules.  Also, I feel that when we try to create some rules that insure some order on our shift, we aren't backed up by administration.  As a matter of fact, some managers actually sabotage the process and you lose the advantage that you had established.

 

My hope is that everyone from the top down gets this information and does something with it.  Everyone that works in the library and patrons that use the library may one day have their life depend on it.

2 comments:

Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rose said...

Anna,

I am glad you found the workshop useful. The need is apparent. Management knows the importance of a safe work environment. Please stay tuned.
I appreciate your input.